[MPlayer-dev-eng] userfriendly release? don't flame...

Anders Rune Jensen root at gnulinux.dk
Fri Mar 15 13:04:14 CET 2002

* Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> [2002-03-14 21:53:54]:
> <snip>
> > > - update help_*.h files to contain new warning/error messages over the
> > >   source - or maybe switch to the gnu localization stuff?
> >
> > This would really help the translaters (like me :)). Maybe even the
> > developers, since they don't have to bother so much about the translation
> > If a language doesn't have a definition it just falls back to english for
> > only that!
> > Also this would allow usage of several languges after install so no
> > recompile :) Put this in the binary packages perspective.
>
> Yes, I've heard lots of goods about this stuff. And experienecd just the bad
> sides... so, could you or someone else show me an code example, how does it
> looks like? I mean which libs are required, how are translations handled
> (separate binary data files? compiled-in?) and how does the printf() looks
> like in the source when using it. How portable (including solaris, os/2,
> etc)

Actually the xgettext program can extract all (and update) the places from
files to be translated. This extracted file are put into a po/ dir together
with all the other languages. Im right now trying to convert a part of
mplayer to see how it works. I'll let you know. When compiling these .po,
they're converted to binary files, one for each language.

Im pretty sure it's very portable since it's used in gnome that runs on
solaris and a bunch of others.

Im still figuring it out myself, probably have something usefull tonight.