[MPlayer-dev-eng] userfriendly release? don't flame...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Mar 14 21:53:54 CET 2002

Hi,

> > - check XviD - we should include it in the release, but only if it's
> >   really GPL and bugfree.
>
> Lately there has been a lot of updates to Xvid (like core rewrite!), so I
> don't think you'll get a stable version. Also b-frames are just around the
> corner :-)

Anyway it works fine in my tests (for encoding, decoding part is buggy but
there is better faster ffmpeg for decoding so it doesn't matter)

but afaik it's still not GPL, has some files from old sources.

> > - update help_*.h files to contain new warning/error messages over the
> >   source - or maybe switch to the gnu localization stuff?
>
> This would really help the translaters (like me :)). Maybe even the
> developers, since they don't have to bother so much about the translation
> If a language doesn't have a definition it just falls back to english for
> only that!
> Also this would allow usage of several languges after install so no
> recompile :) Put this in the binary packages perspective.

Yes, I've heard lots of goods about this stuff. And experienecd just the bad
sides... so, could you or someone else show me an code example, how does it
looks like? I mean which libs are required, how are translations handled
(separate binary data files? compiled-in?) and how does the printf() looks
like in the source when using it. How portable (including solaris, os/2,
etc)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team