[MPlayer-dev-eng] userfriendly release? don't flame...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Mar 14 18:31:02 CET 2002

Hi,

We're getting closer to the next release every day.
No, do not ask the date, I don't know yet. But we really should
make something, as ppl still downloading 0.60, ~ 1000 times per day.
And - as you know - 0.60 is really old "shit", we've solved many
bugs and also implemented some of the most wanted features, like 'f'
or audio from separate file, and also some speed stuff like DR,
faster libavcodec etc... Not talkin' about dxr3 and dvb drivers,
they were unusable buggy/slow in 0.60.

But. If we ever make a new release in the near future, we should at least:
code side:
- switch to fully GPL - is it possible by now? (by removing opendivx src)
- enable runtime cpu detection stuff to make binary packagers happy
- check XviD - we should include it in the release, but only if it's
  really GPL and bugfree.
- do deep testing of player, with various codecs and file formats
  (using sample collection at mphq)
- do portability checks (compiling on *bsd, solaris, etc)
- review users' feature requests - many of them are easy to implement
ui side:
- fix gui bugs, or disable buggy code (like nonworking playlist stuff)
- finish installer, add codec downloading from M$ etc if needed.
- add more hints to messages, like 'use -ni' to buffer overflow error,
  or descriptive hints for signal crashes, depending on signal no. and
  module name crashed.
- update help_*.h files to contain new warning/error messages over the
  source - or maybe switch to the gnu localization stuff?
pr side:
- review and update docs. it really needs some reorganizing, and the
  review of options, facts, and other things changed in last months.
- find more mirrors. at time of 0.60 release, the avg bandwith usage of
  mphq server was around 300kbyte/s for a week. it's too much here :(
- new homepage design (DONE) - switch to mhtml and allow users to change
  'web theme', i mean between the 3 design schemes (prev, current and new).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team