[MPlayer-dev-eng] DECODING AHEAD - preview

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Tue Mar 12 12:01:05 CET 2002

Hello, Arpi!

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:49:08 +0100 you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I know there are other developers which work under the same problem.
> > But it seems that my 'diff' is smaller. Anyway if someone can suggest
> > something better - I'm ready forget about my branch and spend all my
> > efforts to improve any other competited work.
>
> > Any criticism, suggestion improvement are glagdly accepted.
> >
> > Arpi, what do you thing about accepting this stuff?
>
> you know well my optinion and objections against pthreads...
> it's simply bad thing for mplayer - totally different design.
>
> about the patch. it's surprisingly short, but seems to be messy
> at some points. it just brings up a big question: qhy don't you
> handle this mess at libvo level? it could work similar way to
Because it was not hacked by me! Where this feature (0x100) was documented?

> hardware decoders (dxr3, dvb) - they already implement this
> decoding ahead... mplayer decodes frames and push them to the
> libvo/libao with timestamps, and they care to the right display
> timing. so, if you want this mess, add a buffer switching code
> (it could be really simple - just a few lines, and works even
> with SIGALRM, no pthread required) to libvo drivers.
why you against of pthread? This code was tested by me and works just fine!
(With vidix it doesn't affect non re-ent features of X11)

> I mean, for example vidix driver could set flag 0x100 at query_format,
Could you please publish full list of flags?

> it means 'vo driver has own timers'. then mplayer will decoding
> ahead, and your vo driver can set up a timer or thread to switch
> between buffers at the right time. it's much cleaner way and solve
> problem of not being thread-safe.
> (and also eliminate problems with demuxer - your idea with sh_dup_ize
> is dead - it is not possible to duplicate a demuxer, at least for
> streaming formats)
I already refused idea of dup_demuxer. This patch DOES WORK WITHOUT it.
[snip]
Well - I'll try your idea with timer's callback on libvo level.