[MPlayer-dev-eng] DECODING AHEAD - preview

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Tue Mar 12 10:30:05 CET 2002

Hello!

I want suggest 1-st preliminary version of decoding ahead!!!
Currently it has a lot of lacks but I hope that many developers
will want to improve that.
Currently it works WITHOUT A-V resync!!!
Sometime (often) it causes screen juddering and I can solve this problem for now
but I hope it will be fixed in the future. (well - I want to attract other
developers to this problem).
It works fine under X11 same as under under VESA and fbdev (from thread point).
When it works propertly - it works much SMOOTHLY than current mplayer's core.
Logs show me that thread works NOT MONOTOUSLY and it's goal which I wanted to reach.

I know there are other developers which work under the same problem.
But it seems that my 'diff' is smaller. Anyway if someone can suggest
something better - I'm ready forget about my branch and spend all my
efforts to improve any other competited work.

HOWTO:
./configure --enable-xp

mplayerxp -vo [*]vidix -xp -double ...

It will work only if:
- vo driver provides more than 2 buffers
- vo driver supports reenterability (that means
that it should support two stream:
first for decoding ahead; second for mplayer::main())

There are not other limitation.
But with vidix it combines DR + decoding ahead (size of video RAM
does matter in this case).

Any criticism, suggestion improvement are glagdly accepted.

Arpi, what do you thing about accepting this stuff?

Best regards! Nick