[MPlayer-dev-eng] More On Automatic Codec Downloader

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Mon Mar 11 22:17:25 CET 2002

Am Mon, 2002-03-11 um 04.57 schrieb D Richard Felker III:

> this is blatently wrong. slackware or any homebrew system will work
> fine without perl.

Don't know about slackware but I can tell from my own experience that
homebrewn systems will only be quite limited without perl. You cannot
even build a complete gcc nowadays without perl.

> debian has ridiculous degrees of perl dependency,
> yes, but that doesn't mean everyone does. then there's *bsd as well...

Don't know about *bsd either but all major distributions rely on Perl.
It's like a shell: Can't live without.

> script would do the exact same thing -- but something to the effect of
> "ln -sf /bin/true stupid_fixpaths_script" typically eliminates the
> problem.

Of course one can do all the perl jobs by hand or rewrite them using sed
or tcsh but that doesn't quite meet my definition of "not require perl".

--
Servus,
       Daniel