[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patches that are base64 encoded are useless in mail archives

Brian J. Murrell d4ab7f063e5fc948fba0563fb972f944 at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Mar 11 06:51:11 CET 2002

I don't know if the general feeling is that patches sent are better
base64 encoded or not, but just as a datapoint, when they are, they
are completely useless in the mailing list archive.

Yes, I suppose I could cut'n'paste the encoded part out and convince
either mutt or some perl tool to unwind it, but really, that is a lot
of work for relatively little benefit in sending them encoded.

If having them tar.gz.base64 is really that important, then the
mailing list archiver should detach attachments, decode them into
their native format (.tar.gz for instance) put them on a web/ftp
server and replace the base64 encoded attachment block with the URL to
the decoded file.

Am I the only one that thinks base64 encoded stuff in the mail archive
is next to useless?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell