[MPlayer-dev-eng] does -mf work?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Mar 9 14:18:04 CET 2002

Hi,

> > mencoder \*.jpg -mf on:w=800:h=600 -vc ffmjpeg -> completes OK mplayer
> > test.avi -fps 1 -> *ALL OK*
> >

> > So: 1. ImageMagick doesn't make JPEGs parsible for mainconcept mjpeg !
> > (BTW, if it wasn't parsible after ImageMagick, it also wasn't parsible
> > _before_ it) 2. MainConcept supported 0 out of 2 JPEG formats.  3. ffmjpeg
> > supported     1 out of 2 JPEG formats.
>
> It encodes, but the end result is the colors go all wacky and weird.
> Realistically the only way this will work is if m* uses the libjpeg library
> functions instead of the mjpeg plugins.  Im not sure mjpeg and JPEG frames a
> re really the same.  Same for png.

they are the same, but jpeg is just a container standard, it allows many
type of content encoding (SOF type), including some patented methods.

jpeg also allows any scaling of chrominance channel, so yuv 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and
4:2:0 and others. mjpeg codecs usually have a limited set of jpeg features,
and supports only 1 or a few yuv formats.

libjpeg supports many of these, so it may solve the problem, we'll look at
it. anyway libjpeg conflicts with libavcodec afair.

for png, we're already using libpng, so there shouldn't be problems.
but you tried 32bit png, which is very rare and we were unable to create
such files.

so, please upload such jpg and png files for testing!

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team