[MPlayer-dev-eng] XviD

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Mar 7 14:23:46 CET 2002

Hi,

> On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:19, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> [...]
> > 3) We had a version including quartel-pel ME, but it was slow and did
> > not give much improvement. Maybe it was buggy, anyhow it did not make it
> > into CVS. When B-frames are in, we'll come back to that. Any other
> > features new of DivX5 are unknown to me at the moment, if you know
> > exactly what elements of MPEG4 they are using, please inform everyone.
> ill post a summary of my findings to the xvid forum, does anyone want me to
> post the stuff here too?
yes.

> > 4) XviD is FAST for encoding, much faster than DivX4 and still faster
> > than DivX5. It's somewhat slower for decoding than ffodivx, true.
> > But that's no reason to not make it DivX5 compatible, is it?
> well, i guess both ffmpeg & xvid will be divx5 compatible soon ... well i do
> hope at least ;)

IMHO xvid should concentrate to encoding, and libavcodec for decoding.

about the nasm stuff... i'm against nasm, as it has many portability
problems in unix world (name mangling) and sometimes has worse performance
as the c compiler cannot optimize in/out registers of asm stuff...
and users don't like to install nasm, or they have nasm compiled with gcc
2.96 which is broken (at least SDL compiled with nasm compiled with 2.96
causes strange sig11 in yv12->rgb converter - old bug see archives).

anyway, as xvid is linux+windows only, nasm is probably better for them,
a sthey use msvc for windows instead of cygwin/mingw.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team