[MPlayer-dev-eng] BUG - incorrect fps detected on NTSC DVDs result in jumpy video

Ivan Kalvatchev iive at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 19:46:11 CET 2002

--- Christian Lambert <clambert at sgi.com> wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> I uploaded the file called test.vob in the incoming directory.  Notice that
> there are a few interlaced frame for about 1 or 2 seconds at the beginning
> of the movie, then when the logo starts it jumps to "film" and stays that way.
> You will notice at the first scene that has a slow camera pan that you can see
> that it's really jumpy.
>
> Also, I noticed that the video and audio isn't always in sync on
> all DVDs.  That is maybe due to the ac3 delay value which isn't
> read and interpreted by mplayer?   Sometime that value is 0 so in that case
> there is no sync problems, but it's sometime a negative or positive value
> between 0 and 100ms.  So it's about what I'm seeing in some NTSC DVDs.
> Not sure exactly where that value is stored in the VOB file, but maybe in
> the header of the AC3 stream itself.

Hi
Finaly, I got your file. It seems ok (for me).
1. What do you meen by jumpy video? I play it very smooth all the time. Anyway it gives me hi CPU
usage (I have 1GHZ Athlon & YUY2 only video card).
2. I am more interested in loosing syncronization. I wanted sample that looses sync.
history_note:
  After i added the interlased patch for mpeg2 i rewrote the repeate_frame (i think that was the
name). But i did it wrong. It did not supported 3:2 pulldown in full frames. Arpi reverted the
code and i made another fix for interlasing. Now this code works perfectly. If it doesn't then you
will loose syncronization (badly).
  That's why I am in interes of the sync issues. Jumping could be cosmetic problem.
What do i mean. You could loose sync in this none standart 3:2 pd places. If we have only one
field(frame) with repeat_first_field, maybe we have to ignore it. In the test.vob sample this
happens only for few frames and cannot be noticed.
Upload new sample with sync loss (test it first). Delete the old one (or ask Arpi to do it).
You could upload and 'high motion scenes' but first check does they jump of faster CPU.
Don't forget to add and *.txt file with quick description of the problem.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev