[MPlayer-dev-eng] HTTP basic authentication support

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 10:24:08 CEST 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 06:31 pm, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Monday 24 June 2002 15:14, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:
> > Bertrand Baudet writes:
> >
> > According to RFC 2617:
> >
> >   « The realm value (case-sensitive), in combination with the
> >     canonical root URL (the absoluteURI for the server whose abs_path
> >     is empty; see section 5.1.2 of [2]) of the server being accessed,
> >     defines the protection space. »
> >
> >   « The protection space determines the domain over which credentials
> >     can be automatically applied. If a prior request has been
> >     authorized, the same credentials MAY be reused for all other
> >     requests within that protection space [...]. Unless otherwise
> >     defined by the authentication scheme, a single protection space
> >     cannot extend outside the scope of its server. »
> >
> > So for this kind of cases it could be sufficient to reuse the same
> > user/pass pair as in previous URLs.  Of course it would be better to
> > also remember the host/realm pair that corresponds to a user/password
> > pair.
>
> Yea, but this behaviour doesn't fitin with mplayer's behaviour for global
> and file specific options as introduced some time ago by albei.

Ok, I added the -user and -pass options in CVS.

Who is implementing Mplayer GUI? I may have an idea on how to hook up
a pop-up dialogue to request the user for username/password. It would
by also nice to have the possibility of entering an URL instead of a file only
dialogue.
Yes, I know it's all about the CLI, I rarely use the GUI. But since I'm doing
the user/pass stuff now, I just want to add most of the stuff to not have to
come back on this later.

Bertrand