[MPlayer-dev-eng] HTTP basic authentication support

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 04:14:48 CEST 2002

On Sunday 23 June 2002 04:21 pm, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Sunday 23 June 2002 11:14, Bertrand Baudet wrote:
> > I just commited the HTTP basic authentication support in CVS.
> > It can by use directly within the url:
> > http://username:password@hostname
>
> great!

It was not as difficult as I thought, the username/password are
encoded in.... base64..... really "basic" authentication!

> > or if a username/password is required but no set in the url,
> > mplayer will prompt for them.
> > This las part need to be fix. I'm using scanf but the echo is
> > kindda broken. Maybe a getch will do the trick.
>
> please see my comment on cvslog on this.

Comment was:
---------
hmm, are you sure it's a good idea to read user and pass from mplayer's stdin?
I think it should rather only give the error message and then go to next
file/exit. A nice idea would be a -user xxx -pass yyy switch, so a global
user/pass for all following urls can be specified.
e.g: mplayer -user blah -pass blub http://xxx/1.mpg http://xxx/2.mpg
---------

Yes, I kindda agree with that! It's not a really nice integration
with the GUI neither.
But it would be also nice to have an interaction with the user
so it can specify a username/password for a protection space.
I should cache(in memory) the username/password for each
realm(protection space), so when the user is prompt once for
user/pass for a protection space, it will never be prompted again.
The cache will not be persistant.

Any suggestion, anybody?

Anyway, I will add the -user -pass switches.

Bertrand