[MPlayer-dev-eng] libavcodec error concealing bug?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Jun 16 11:51:31 CEST 2002

Hi

On Sunday 16 June 2002 08:04, Luke Harrison wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 04:53:01 +0200
> Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:
>
> I uploaded that file with a bug report about a week ago,
> the fix was -lavdopts ver=-1
> works perfectly with that...
> haha that moive always gives me a laugh
> My guess is there's no way to autodetect that kinda error in files....
yes, at least not an easy one, the error messages (illegal 3. esc, esc 2
encoding possible) are correct the file is not mpeg4 compliant because it
uses the wrong escape coding, mpeg4 requires that allways the shortest
encoding must be used and this isnt the case here
we use the suboptimal escape stuff and many other things to detect errors
(this is even explicitly recomanded by the mpeg4 std)
if all encoders would put some id in the file so they can clearly be
identified then it would be much easyer to workaround such bugs, but sadly
divx5 & ffmpeg are the only encoders which do this currently afaik

Michael