[MPlayer-dev-eng] Why -O4 (again?)

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Jun 15 13:58:26 CEST 2002

On Saturday, 15 June 2002, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Friday 14 June 2002 23:18, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> > >
> > > it is apples modified gcc but still gcc!
> >
> > Is it modified to have -O4? And if so, what optimizations does it enable?
> dunno, it doesn't really matter, mplayer only uses -O4 so future optimizations
> may be enabled.

You're right. I've just found this in gcc-help archives:
----
Subject: Re: -O4?
From: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>
Date: 20 Dec 2000 00:45:25 -0200
On Dec 19, 2000, Weiguang Shi <wgshi at cs dot ualberta dot ca> wrote:

> I got some code where in the makefile the gcc is given the option "-O4". I
> looked it up using "info gcc" but got no explaination on it. The highest
> optimization level I got is "-O3".

> Could you please what it means?

The same as -O3, until we create even more expensive optimizations
that would only be enabled with -O4 or higher :-)
----

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>