[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd support

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Sat Jun 15 13:43:32 CEST 2002

Hi

There have been many changes of the dvd libs lately:
    - libdvdcss 1.2.1
    - libdvdread 0.9.3
    - libdvdnav 0.1.1

Maybe the problems of earlier versions have already been fixed,
maybe it's time to upgrade libmpdvdkit or libdvdread support,
maybe it's time to work on libdvdnav support for mplayer (Kees
Cook is needed!), afaik there are now:
    - detailed docs: http://dvd.sourceforge.net/libdvdnav-refman/
    - multi-threaded read-ahead cache -> cache support (??)
    - many changes/additions to navigation commands, searching
      (seeking)
    - much more (It's hard for me to read out the important
      things as I'm not a developer..)

And it seems that libdvdnav is incompatible with cdda. It didn't
work till I removed cdda support and gdb said sthg about
open.c:88. If it's needed I'll recompile with cdda and write a
bugreport (will need some time).

I know that there are other much more important things to do.
So it's probably better to leave this things to >0.90
(interactive dvd navigation probably needs a new mplayer
API/structure/whatever anyway).

Sorry for my bad english :(

Regards
    Jonas