[MPlayer-dev-eng] Why -O4 (again?)

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Jun 14 19:48:06 CEST 2002

(top-posting corrected)
On Friday, 14 June 2002, David Holm wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 14:49, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Could someone explain to me (or point to archival link) why we're using
> > -O4 in OPTFLAGS? I've seen this in configure since I first started using
> > mplayer and now that I build packages, I'd like to ask.
> > AFAIK there's no such thing as -O4. info gcc says -O3 is max.
> >
> > BTW: since RedHat's default (when building RPMs, that is) is -O2,
> > I'm emulating -O3 by adding "-ffast-math -finline-functions"
> > to default CFLAGS. Again, info gcc says it's equivalent to -O3 then
> > (except -ffast-math, but that's for folks who worry about strict IEEE
> > conformance, not us :->).
>
> MPlayer compiles with other compilers than gcc, ie on Darwin.

And this means that CFLAGS for all compilers have to include -O4?
Why exactly? I don't like giving people the false impression that gcc
can actually do -O4 as if it were something better than -O3.

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>