[MPlayer-dev-eng] ripping subtitles

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 14 13:33:45 CEST 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 04:09, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:
> I am still not sure how subtitles ripping should be done.  For the
> moment I have some pieces of code that does it inside mencoder (at the
> same time that it is burning the subtitles inside the encoded movie).
> But this does not feel right.  For one MPlayer's code can only read
> one subtitle language at a time so it can only do one language
> subtitle ripping at a time (it is vobsub ripping so it should be
> possible to put multiple languages into a single file).  So here is
> what I still can't answer: should subtitle ripping happen inside
> mencoder or in a separate program?
Hmm, Arpi talked about advancing the muxers/demuxers to be able to handle
multiple audio streams to be able to generate multiple language AVI.

I think it would be a great thing, if all demuxers can handle multiple audio
streams as it opens a lot of interesting possibilities, like switching audio
streams on the fly (DVD, Multi-language (S)VCD/AVI). Also switching subtitle
streams on the fly would be cool.
To achieve this MPlayer/MEncoder IMHO needs some not-so-easy structural
changes (eg. otf audio reinit), which will surely happen sooner or later, but
I think not in shortterm.

Btw. I'm interested in Arpi's thoughts/ideas about this.

But for now you could get started with only dumping one sub stream, it's still
useful (eg. usually you only dump english or native language sub).

You could even do very crazy things like encoding the speech of the movie in
different languages at low-bitrate/different codec and having music/effects
at higher bitrate and at playback downmix the wanted dialogs to music/sfx
channel (this of course is only practical, if source media supplies seperate
streams for dialogs/sfx etc, this approach is a bit familiar to mpeg4's idea
of having video objects, so motion and backgrounds can be encoded
independently). Well I guess this will happen in the next few years anyways
=)

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos