[MPlayer-dev-eng] XMAME petition

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 6 16:25:01 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 08:04:22AM -0300, Federico Ferreres wrote:
> Hi! I know this is a bit offtopic, but could it be at least remotely
> possible that anyone understanding vidix (nick, arpi, etc) or XV, to
> contribute a display driver for those to be used in xmame (x.mame.net)?
> XMAME doesn't use acceleration for the games, except for the DGA 2 mode
> which is still Real Slow.

If XMAME would ditch its lame nonfree license and go with something
GPL-compatible, you could do this right off without asking. However,
YUV overlay support isn't terribly useful for games...you get scaling
at no cost, but you have to convert colorspace from RGB to YUV. On the
other hand, it the hardware you're emulating is palette-based,
colorspace conversion is also essentially free because you only have
to do it once at palette load time rather than for each pixel, but
that requires some internal architecture changed in your emulator
perhaps.

Rich

P.S. To anyone wondering how the MAME license is lame, it forbids
modifying the emulator to allow it to play games that have been
intentionally locked out by the MAME authors. Lots of other stuff too
that free software purists will take offense at too, but IMHO that one
point there is enough to make it super-lame.