[MPlayer-dev-eng] display

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed Jun 5 11:16:06 CEST 2002

Hi Stephen Davies,

on Wed, 5 Jun 2002 07:45:59 +0100 (BST) you wrote:

> > I think it's more reasonable to use the lcd as a target for statusline or a
> > special OSD display. Doing bargraphs when seeking etc. Matrix Orbitals are
> > nice for such stuff, they even allow custom character, would be nice for play
> > stop etc symbols. Sadly my mtx orb 4x20 is defect :( (it was very expensive
> > so I don't buy new one).
>
> We were mainly joking about video output to the LCD... (I think... I
> hope).  As you say, status display is the proper way to use it.

One of my idea for mplayer was to do something better concerning the status
displaying. I see 2 main problems, first with the slave mode where there is no
feedback. Can be good for some but it's very limited if one want to do something
more complete. The second one is that it's impossible to customize the status
line. I'd like to have something common to all that is playing status related. I didn't
think to this much, but my first thaught was this : the player update the info when
they change, then the "clients" are notified of what as just changed. The "client"
then do whatever he want with the info he have. The simplest form could display
the actual status line, one could do a more complete (ie multiline) display, an
lcdproc display, etc.
Imho the info must be as extensive as possible, who know what the final user want.
It should at least include what can be found on the current status line, plus all
info about what is played. They can come from the stream itself (like in shoutcast
stream), for an external stream (icecast), the playlist or the demuxer.
It's just my thaugths (without much thinking) I'd like to know what other think
about it. The main thing I want to avoid is to have x different hacks, to do about
the same thing.
	Albeu