[MPlayer-dev-eng] MCF ( Multimedia Container Format ) : Invitation to participate

Christian HJ Wiesner cwiesner at t-online.de
Mon Jun 3 00:12:07 CEST 2002

cc : MCF dev mailing list

Dear mplayer development team,

please allow me to introduce myself. My nick is ChristianHJW and some of you
may perhaps know me from www.doom9.org where i am helping out as mod for the
'New A/V formats' section. I am also admin on www.powerdivx.com ( soon :
www.corecodec.com ) and project admin for an opensource project called

MCF ( Multimedia Container Format )

http://mcf.sourceforge.net ; http://sf.net/projects/mcf

MCF is ment to be an AVI replacement, but in contrary to the existing Ogg
implementation from Tobias Waldvogel its not ment to be a windows based
format ( DirectShow implementation ) but was also targeting a x-platform
compatibility from the very start.

While the basic data and block structure is fixed now and already
implemented in libmcf on CVS we are currently in the phase of deciding how
to support all the different codecs and formats. Easiest thing to do what of
course be to use the M$ dshow method of building a playback graph based on
the FourCC of the use codec. But as we are ware that this may cause problem
on other OS such as Linux or MacOS we were discussing alternative solutions
like a plugin structure ( f.e. a MPEG4 ISO video plugin to play XviD and
DivX5 ).

Mplayer is currently the only Linux player that is capable of playing back
.ogm files, so we are very interested how you managed to get this working.
Is it possible to have dshow based parsers/decoders working on Linux ? Also
we are convinced that the discussion between mplayer developers and our
people could lead to a very good cooperation for both sides. Good old AVI
has definitely seen the end of its days, but we are not convinced that the
existing Ogg implementation is the answer to this. We hope MCF could raise
your interest and look forward to your precious input.

Please contact us on IRC, openprojects, #mcf to discuss how we could best
implement codec/formats support into MCF.

Best regards

Christian

P.S. Many thanks to KotH who was motivating us to start this discussion.