[MPlayer-dev-eng] RPM package for next release - RH7.2/7.3 glibc issue

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jun 2 03:49:46 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 22:37, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi.
> I've upgraded from RH7.2 to 7.3. Just today my friend with 7.2 had problems
> installing my freshly compiled RPM. It turns out that the new glibc-2.2.5
> package in 7.3 provides a dependency that's not in 7.2's glibc.
> And since mplayer gets linked against glibc (obviously :->), we have
> a problem - the packages I build from now on won't install on 7.2.

Strange, I thought different glibc subversions releases must be introperable,
so only 2.3 would be allowed to be incompatible from 2.2.x.

Btw. why not install 7.2 minaml dev sys in a virtual machine?

> So, I'm looking for someone willing to build packages on a 7.2 system,
> unless you don't have a problem with this issue and agree to let people
> use the .src.rpm to build a package for their version of RH by themselves.
> Also I've noticed RH7.3 doesn't ship gcc3, so one can get it *only*
> from 7.2 updates.
Sorry, I could only build on SuSE 8 which is also glibx 2.2.5...

> My friend has been telling me for some time: "RedHat sucks."
> Today, I agreed. :-)) Not that we don't use it, of course.
> He also says: "All OSes suck.", so there you are. :->
Redhat really sucks compared to SuSE, but their kde packages are nicer (don't
have to install all multimedia crap if I only want kmix :)

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos