[MPlayer-dev-eng] machine lockup due to xv driver

Nilmoni Deb ndeb at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 24 07:10:36 CEST 2002

This is in reference to my earlier post in

http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2002-July/018457.html

My investigattion shows that till cvs 2002/7/19, things are ok but the cvs
of 2002/7/20 is consistently leading to machine lockup when mplayer is run
with "-vo xv". I found out (after 10 manual resets, the hard way) that
this is due to the changes made for audio and video equalizer handling.

Here's the tests I ran.

Test1
-----
- get cvs of 2002/7/19
- version of mplayer.c is 1.527
- update these files manually:
	video_out.c (1.53), video_out.h (1.37), vo_xv.c (1.105)

This one has no problems.

Test2
-----
Do everything in test1 and also update mplayer.c to v1.528.

This one caused hard lockup.

This means the changes in mplayer.c _alone_ (between v1.527 and v1.528)
are triggerring the savage driver bug. It may be working with mga g400
[x]mga,xv,xvidix and radeon xv,xvidix etc. but its failing with
the prosavage km133 xv.

So I commented out line 1387 of mplayer.c (cvs version v1.528), which is:

	set_video_eq( v_hw_equ_cap );

This change made the lockup problem go away which means something in the
function set_video_eq( int cap ) is going wrong and causing the lockup.

While this new problem may be hard to solve, if left unattended, users
of km133 prosavage video (and other similar chipsets) will be stuck
forever. I am ready to test out each revision (at the cost of manual
resets!!), only if somebody is ready to address the issue.

Here's a part of the output of xvinfo on my system:

    number of attributes: 5
      "XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
      "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -128 to 127)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 255)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 128)
      "XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 255)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 128)
      "XV_HUE" (range -180 to 180)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)

Compare this with the initial values (in video_out.c)

int vo_gamma_brightness=-101;
int vo_gamma_saturation=-101;
int vo_gamma_contrast=-101;
int vo_gamma_hue=-101;

Obviously, vo_gamma_saturation and vo_gamma_contrast are outside their
permitted range. Could this be the problem ?

thanks
- Nil