[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure X check issue

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jul 24 02:18:33 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:07:05AM +0200, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

> > Also those commands demonstrate a misunderstanding of symbolic
> > linking. The correct way would be:
> >
> > ln -s libX11.so.6 /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
> > ln -s libXext.so.6 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so
> >
> You're wrong, because ln -s syntax is :
> ln -s /real/path/filename         name_of_the_link
> so:
> ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6  libX11.so
> ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 libXext.so

No. You don't want to put a path; the whole point is that the link
should be relative. Also it does not matter what the current working
directory is when you type the commands I gave, contrary to the false
information spread by *some* people... When using ln -s, the first
'filename' is just an arbitrary string that will be stored in the link
named by the second filename. For example the following is perfectly
valid:

ln -s "*&@##JKHJK#$*)(" foo.bar

Your commands will not create the desired links (which need to be in
/usr/X11R6/lib) unless the cwd is already /usr/X11R6/lib/, and even
then they will be absolute rather than relative.

If you don't believe me, try the commands. Or better yet RTFM POSIX
before you try 'correcting' someone who actually knows what they're
doing with total nonsense like this.

Rich