[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: samples which look bad when encoded with lavc 2-pass needed

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Mon Jul 22 10:33:45 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 01:48:28AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Monday 22 July 2002 00:07, Arpi wrote:
>
> > - imho it should change bitrate much more agressively, so decrease more for
> > simple scenes and increase much for complex parts. i know (at leats i think
> > i know :)) that it's just a parameter, i even read it somewhere which one
> > :)
> vqcomp
>
> the, new, planned (and not yet written) ratecontrol code, should allow more
> precisse control so that texture complexity or amount of motion could affect
> the bitrate independantly

Oh, since you plan to rewrite the rate control code, could you include
also something to let us push up/down the bitrate (or quantizers) for
selected sets of the input ? For example to reduce the bitrate pressure
ending / starting credits put on the rest of the film.

I have an example of something which could be nearly perfectly encoded
in 790 kbits/s but unfortunately the ending credits which happens to
scroll up over a live scene take a significant percent of the average
bitrate [avg br goes from 735 (just before ending credits) to 790
(real ending of the movie)].

--
Rémi