[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] restructured faq.html

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jul 12 15:32:44 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Hm, I have some questions, and it would be great if I got some answers
> to clear things up a bit.
> * I've decided to use multiple XML files instead of one huge (>200K)
>   file.  The files are in different directories; this is the directory
>   structure:
>
> 	|--html			(the generated HTML files (English))
> 	|  `--xx		(the same, but for language xx)
> 	`--xml			(Makefile, stylesheets, common files)
> 	   |--en		(source in English)
> 	   `--xx		(source in xx)
>
>   Is it OK?
We won't put generated files to the CVS.
CVS will have xml source only, users can view html online (maybe download it
zipped, same for other formats like txt or pdf maybe) and releases will
include it.

> * I don't use the same filenames as in the documentation.  Is it OK?
yes

> * Each HTML file contains a chapter.  This means that, for example,
>   everything in 'Features' goes into one big file...  Is it OK?
yes

>   (The chunk depth can be set to chapters, sect1/2/3/... sections,
>   but I think it's not possible to output a specified section into a
>   separate file.)
> * I moved 'Developer cries' into the appendix, because it wouldn't have
>   fit into the structure of the documentation otherwise.  I hope it is
>   not a problem...
ok

> * Should I put the contents of the DVB and DXR3 files in the
yes
they were draft for later html version, but it has been forgotten and
they stay txt...

>   documentation, or should I add links to them?  (I can't add links now,
>   since I don't know the final path for the doc.)
> * Although I wasn't allowed to make changes to the documentation, there
>   are some things that I had to change.  I can't remember anything
>   specific now... (Maybe I should make the stuff available for download
>   so that you can see it for yourselves...)
please avoid modifications while doing html->xml conversion, and do these
later to teh xml in a separated patch. we should review each modification to
avoid bad things (doc writers/maintainers sometimes misunderstand things
and "fix" them in teh doc but actually teh fix is bad and the original is
ok. nice example was changing rtp:// to ftp://, he thought it was a typo, but
no, there is no ftp support but rtp://)

> * 'MPlayer is under GPL v2 license.' should be near the title (DocBook
>   has a nice tag for this).  Actually, the text should be replaced with
>   the usual short GPL license statement.  Can I do this?
yes
unless 'short' means that long usual COPYING file

> * (Sometimes I can hardly resist the temptation to change something.
>   Have you got anyting against this? ;-))
no, *but* don't mix changes and conversion. do them in different patches.
so, at first pass, do teh conversion, and then, if it's done and it's in teh
CVS, do the changes and send patches or commit them to cvs (if you get cvs
access)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team