[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [GATOS]ATI chips classes?

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 11 20:25:13 CEST 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Svante Signell wrote:

> Vladimir Dergachev writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Svante Signell wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hello,
>  > >
>  > > Can somebody please clarify (or give a pointer to) the similarities
>  > > and differences of ATI chips, especially wrt registers and such. I
>  > > have currently two cards from ATI, an ATI 3D Rage LT Pro and an Radeon
>  > > Mobility M6 LY.
>  >
>  > rv200 - radeon with built-in Rage Theatre and (at the moment)
>  > unknown/non-existent way to access i2c bus. I also think it has 2 DAC
>  > so it can drive two monitors simultaneously. (Caveat: notebook chips
>  > sometimes have reduced features in order to save power).
>  >
>  > r200 is a radeon with a redesigned 3d pipeline and some additional
>  > features for overlay scaler. i2c register layout is a little different
>  > from plain radeon, but this was documented and currently works.
>  >
>  > Note: I might be off on LY chip, check in ati.2/ source for which chips
>  > are marked as RV200 to be sure.
>  >
>  >                            Vladimir Dergachev
> Vladimir,
>
> Thanks for the information about different chip classes. I added some
> entries on TV-in,TV-out, dual-head, 3D capabilities and programming
> intaerfaces: However, very few entries are filled in so far. Something
> of interest missing in the table?
>
> Updated table below:
>  Card name             Chip class     3D     TV-in     TV-out    Dual head     Prog.I/F    I2C-bus
>  ATI 3D Rage LT Pro    ragepro        Yes    No        Yes       ?             ?            ?
>  Rage128               rage128        ?      ?         ?         ?             ?            ?
>  Rage128pro            rage128pro     ?      ?         ?         ?             ?            ?
>  radeon mobility M6    rv200          Yes?   No        Yes,RT?   ?             ?            ?
>  radeon 7500           rv200          Yes?   ?         Yes,RT?   ?             ?            ?
>  radeon 8500           r200           Yes?   ?         ?         ?             ?            ?
>
> RT=Rage Theatre
>
> Where do the AIW chips come in and what is a plain radeon?

a) there are no AIW chips, rather AIW boards have extra parts to
accomodate TV-in/TV-out capabilities. Also, they are sometimes produced
with a slightly lower clock rates or different RAM parts to bring costs
down.

For example: AIW Radeon uses "plain" Radeon chip + Rage Theatre for
TV-in/TV-out + Tuner (FI12xx) + several other chips for sound and IF
stage.

Radeon 64mb DDR has a faster clock and DDR Ram instead of SDRAM on AIW
Radeon. ALso, AFAIK, it is capable of driving two heads.

Generally all (most ?)  chips since mach64 were capable of receiving
TV-in, provided that companion chips (i.e. video decoder) were onboard.

                     Vladimir Dergachev