SGML docs [Was: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Using gettext in MPlayer]

Kis Gergely kisg at lme.linux.hu
Thu Jul 4 12:01:05 CEST 2002

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 11:42:07AM +0200, Andras Mohari wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 15:08:26 +0200, Winner of tha face compo wrote:
> > We need someone to do a nice HTML->SGML port.
>
> Some time ago I started it, but didn't get too far (by the time
> I finished something, it was updated in the HTML doc :-\).
> I was using the DocBook XML DTD plus XSL stylesheets and
> although I'm NOT a DocBook/XSL guru, I managed to use it.
>
> If XML+XSL is fine, I can give it a try...
I think Docbook/XML should be fine. I don't think an obsolete DTD like
linuxdoc would be a good choice.
Yesterday I tested some XML editors to make the editing easier for fellows
like me, but didn't find the "Real One". Does anybody know a good XML
editor with DTD support? (It should tell me what elements / attributes are
available in a particular context, and have good keybindings for
mouseless editing).

> (By the way, there's a problem here: if the doc is in XML (or SGML)
> format, how are users supposed to have a readable version?
> They'll need the tools to generate it...  Will the HTML format
> be included in release versions?  Or will it be downloadable?)
I don't think it's a big problem. The release version could include the
generated HTML files. (Actually the stylesheet I use only generates one big
file)
It is up to A'rpi and the other developers whether or not they want to have
generated files in CVS. If they can live with that, the generated html docs
could also be included in CVS. If they don't want to pollute the main cvs
tree, they could create a new module say mplayer-generated-docs for the html
and pdf and whatever versions.

Bye,
kisg