[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/libvo vo_x11.c,1.51,1.52

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 30 22:42:05 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:20:49PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> > Looks like it works only with YV12 planes, but not with BGR.
> Because it's "official" name is "YV12 scaler" .. But is there any reason
> why yuv2yuv and rgb2rgb routines still aren't used?

yeah -- lack of scaling in non-yv12 modes is a serious problem, imo.
take nuppelvideo for instance...on my k6-2 450, 640x480 capture isn't
feasible, so i instead capture at 640x240 and get rid of the
interlacing issue at the same time. however, when encoding the video
with mencoder afterwards, it's desirable to scale up to 640x480 so the
aspect ratio is correct, and this isn't possible directly since the
nuv decoder outputs i420. thus, i have to first encode to an
intermediate file in a format that can output yv12, then encode a
second time to scale, which really hurts quality and compression
ratio. for now i'm using mp1e to capture, which seems to work better
than nuppelvideo anyway, but imo this issue (scaling non-yv12 data)
should still be given priority and addressed.

rich