[MPlayer-dev-eng] Joe Barr returns

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Tue Jan 29 10:45:21 CET 2002

Hello, Arpi!

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:33:40 +0200 (CEST) you wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > > This time about the perfect, bugless Xine...
> > >
> > > http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0125.xine.html
> > >
> > > it has the best configure script he has even seen :)
> > >
> > Who is Joe Barr? Why we should react on his columns?
>
> as thousands of linux users trust him and read his columns...
> anyway, we don't have to react, just told you.
>
> > On site had rated media players for Linux and 1st place there was for xmovie.
> What site?

I don't remeber - someting like tucows.com or other
> > But imho it's lie.
> I like xmovie :)
> it was the first well working mpeg player i've found long time ago.
> mplayer is a way based on that...
> anyway it's old and not developed, so not comparable to today players
According to freshmeat news there was latest release at summer 2001 imho

> > Everyone can say everything - does it mean that we should pay our attention for that?
> i don't like when someone distributes big lies related to me (or even
> worse: about my friends' work) on a media with big audencies...

In his previous article "mplayer - project from hell" was a bit of truth about installation
(indeed it could be easy a long ago)
but I agree - he mustn't write such articles simply because - mplayer is free software and
if he doesn't like it - he's free not to use it.