[MPlayer-dev-eng] Capabilities for audio out

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Mon Jan 28 14:30:08 CET 2002

Hi,

I have been thinking of the audio out and how to configure the sound
card and selecting audio plugins depending on format of the audio
stream and the capabilities of the audio device.

I would like to extend the interface to the ao drivers with a new
function called get_capabilities() or something like that. This
function would return a struct containing the limitations of the sound
card. This information could then be used to select the correct audio
decoder and audio plugins in order to maximise the sound quality and
make stuff work automaticly. The scheme would naturally be combined
with manual override. It would also require some changes in the audio
plugins or the audio decoders and in mplayer (to get automatic hw ac3
and mpeg decoding) if we want everything to auto configure.

Is this a good idea?

By the way I think I have found all the bugs in the audio resampling
now so it shouldn't sig 11 any longer. I will continue by fixing the
mmx code to make the resampling faster.

Cheers,
//Anders