[MPlayer-dev-eng] VAA

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Jan 27 08:29:35 CET 2002

Hello, Alex!

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:09:47 +0100 you wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 10:10:46PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> > Hello, Alex!
> >
> > On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:31:34 +0100 you wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Nick!
> > >
> > > Are you working on VAA support in mplayer now? Or you only added the stubs
> > > to libvo and work on it later?
> > >
> > Currently I've added stub only.
> > > Is this VAA to support directrendering? Also mplayer queries if vaa
> > Yes
>
> Also why you couldn't implemented libvo2's way?!

Finely, don't want - because it's buggy way ;)
> > > supported and then in dec_video it didn't copies the frames into src[]
> > > instead it copies to space queried from VAA, if i understand it.
> > >
> > Yes! VAA is developed for case when decoder decodes directly into video memory
> > without fastmemcpy routine ;)
> > But it requires hacking of libmpeg2 and libavcodec (see my previous post:
> > LIBVO vs LIBVO2 or LIBVO must live)
>
> I think it could be done in dec_video only! I don't like to hack into
> libmpeg2 and lavc (also into decoders) to support directrendering....

That is impossible :(
As you can find direct access to BES requires using different pitches
but libmpeg2 currently uses pitch == 16 (i.e. fixed pitch)
Also it calls malloc/free for each frame - we can speedup decoding by
avoiding these call (libavcodec uses malloc/free more often) and have
the same problems with pitches.
> set picture.buffer to video_memory_address in lavc for example (and in
> libmpeg2 too)

It's not enough