[MPlayer-dev-eng] XviD support is done

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 19 02:25:35 CET 2002

Hi,

> Thanks. When I tried your two-pass example, XviD-file was was a little
> smaller and had a little higher quantizer than the
> DivX4-verison. Ratecontrol isn't perfect for either, so maybe one should
> compare fixed quant or same size clips.

Maybe i'm wrong, but...
AFAIK the bits of a coded frame consists from 3 components:
- frame header, more or less constant length, and just a few bits
- motion compensation vectors - could improve image quality
- quantized dct components - smaller qscale is better  quality but makes more bits

so, if you get smaller qsscales at the same bitrate, it means you have more
bits left from other 2 tasks, so your MC is less successfull?
(i can imagine it from faster compression)

compared divx4 and xvid, Gabu found that divx4 results more pixelized but
sharper images, xvid make it a bit blured.

i should test it myself, i think..

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu