[MPlayer-dev-eng] fbdev:vidix / vidix bug

M. R. Brown mrbrown at 0xd6.org
Fri Jan 18 20:59:24 CET 2002

* Nick Kurshev <nickols_k at mail.ru> on Fri, Jan 18, 2002:

> What? Are you sure? Finely what HW accel do you mean?
> I write radeonfb driver - I know what it provides and what
> it can provide. Please don't mix 2D acceleration with VIDEO
> one. There were introduced only several functions for 2D acceleration:
> 	bmove:		matrox_cfbX_bmove,
> 	clear:		matrox_cfb32_clear,
> 	putc:		matrox_cfb32_putc,
> 	putcs:		matrox_cfb32_putcs,
> 	revc:		matrox_cfb32_revc,
> 	clear_margins:	matrox_cfbX_clear_margins,
> As you can see there no video related things.
> Please think it again! What you've developed:
> mplayer -vo fbdev:vidix:genfb_vid
> it's fully equal to
> mplayer -vo fbdev
> and what we need to have the same things?

You need to read the source of SDL, specifically SDL/src/video/fbcon/ and
the *accelerated* fb code for Matrox, 3DFx, and Riva.  You can access the
direct hardware registers and mem from framebuffer drivers by using mmap().
This means you can implement acceleration (for 2D, video, or whatever, as
long as those registers are mapped) in userspace without any custom kernel
drivers.  This works with Linux 2.4.

mmap() is your friend.

M. R.