[MPlayer-dev-eng] fbdev:vidix / vidix bug

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jan 18 09:01:41 CET 2002

Hi,

> Anyway - genfb is bad driver for VIDIX.
> Even if linux-2.6 will have such extension for example from RUBY
> tree of linuxconsole.sf.net (FBVID.H) or from V4L2 project then
> it will not cause to implement such driver for VIDIX.
>
> Please, REMEMBER:
>  NEVER GENERIC DRIVERS FOR VIDIX ONLY NATIVE ONES (VENDOR_ID DEPENDED).

Alex, I agree with Nick in this. Vidix is a direct hardware access layer.
If fbdev provides any hw accel, write a new vo_fbdevhwaccel or modify old
vo_fbdev. it does not require direct hw access, it is handled by kernel and
you can use ioctls to /dev/fb0.

btw, about vidix: i miss some important features:
- IRQ handling
- working as non-root
i think we should write (at least for linux, and maybe optional) a generic
kernel driver to do the mapping to userspace, and to handle irqs.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu