[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer without audio, do we do it ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 17 22:50:18 CET 2002

Hi,

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Alban Bedel wrote:
>
> > Many ppl on the user list ask about beeing able to listen audio asf stream.
> > I have looked a little at it and got it working easly (see my last post). The patch
> > I submitted need just a little more work (wich I alredy done) but it show the main stuff.
> > I think we must include this feature, what do you think about it ?
>
> 	Do you mean MPlayer without video, rather than audio? Anyway, the
> reason that MPlayer doesn't support this feature is that A'rpi (the big
> man) has laid down the law on this matter and doesn't want MPlayer to have
> this capability. It has something to do with fears that users would start
> clamoring for more audio-related features that don't necessarily belong in
> MPlayer. Personally, I'm not sure what this means. I would like to see
> MPlayer modified to be an audio stream player, in addition to being a
> kick-booty A/V or V player.

ok ok ok ...
if you really want to support this mess, do it.
i just said that we're not enough to maintain an audio player besides a
video player... why? as an full-featured audio and video player differs a
lot, and shared just a small part of the code...
and i saw no sense of hacking minimal audio playback ability to a player
desigend for video playback. (it's same ugly as video playback in xmms)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu