[MPlayer-dev-eng] fbdev:vidix / vidix bug

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu Jan 17 09:33:11 CET 2002

Hello, Alex!

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:49:33 +0100 you wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:36:30AM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> > Hello, Felix!

> > > yea, but shouldn't fsck the system if I don't do :)
> > >
> > > argh my 44days uptime on the laptop are gone with the wind (or better reboot)
> > > :(
> > We should 1000L to Alex for genfb driver - remove it.
>
> genfb isn't completed, don't use it.

It' impossible :(
Did you even try to study vidixlib logic?
It probes all drivers and load first which was probed without errors.
I said and say: This driver MUST be NEVER finished.
It violates ideology of VIDIX.
Since if user has loaded linux's framebuffer driver then this driver will be
always successfully probed. But who need it? dev/fb0 doesn't provide any HW
acceleration as VIDIX should do.
VIDIX should provide native support but not generic.
(Even vga_vid is not good for VIDIX).
In short: Driver MUST be depended from VENDOR_ID.
OTOH - if you want something implement there are some ineteresting tasks:
1. Should we support multihead card by one driver (I mean should we remove mga_crtc2_vid)
2. How we can handle situation when computer has installed two identical video card?
3. Should we pass FPS info into driver?