[MPlayer-dev-eng] XVID-FourCC

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Jan 16 14:42:14 CET 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Arpi wrote:

> > P.S. there's by far too much traffic on mplayer-users. How about a forum
> > for the "usual" questions instead of 100 mails per day?
> dunno. there is also irc channel, 1-2 users per day...

IRC is too "real-time". I would never go to IRC for support.

But with a certain number of users (I guess mplayer-users has several
hundred?) a forum seems the better choice than a mailing list, because you
can search it for previous questions (which of course nobody will do,
just like the archives) and if there are general some sections (e.g. bugs,
documentation, howtodoit, features, gcc-2.96), then you (or rather
I) don't have to read everything.
Most forums can send answers to your question directly to you by
mail when they are posted. So you get your answer as quickly as on a
mailing list, but directly to you and you don't have to read the rest.
At the moment, I don't read anything, because it's simply too many mails
per day.

gruel
--
Christoph H. Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 15 Tel. (0228) 73-4708 | nell erstellt und bedarf