[MPlayer-dev-eng] XviD codec

Chris Bednar cjb at AdvancedDataSolutions.com
Sat Jan 12 19:16:06 CET 2002

> > I didn't need to do that.  Just `cd core/build/generic && make -f Makefile.linux CC=gcc3`.
> ^^^ this is compiling xvid. i did teh same.
>
> but mplayer needs the above changes to use xvid instead of divxencore/decore

    Ah... I did the following, instead:

  ln -s libxvidcore.so libdivxdecore.so
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<opendivx>/core/build/generic mplayer ...

so I can switch back and forth between the two. This may also be
the reason I have to patch up some variable-name pollution in
opendivx (idct -> odivx_idct, etc) to avoid having it try to
crap on mplayer's codespace.

> > > playing back divx4-encoded avi with xvid: no image, and 'no
> > > vop_start_code' messages.
> >
> >     I got sig11 on divx4-encoded avis until I commented out
> > 3 BSWAP's in core/src/decoder/bitreader.h. Then, I get no
> > image and `no vop_start_code' messages.
> :)

    Yes, it's nice to see immediate results from a little hard
work.

> >     A glance at core/src/decoder/bitreader.c shows a lot
> > of TODO notes; it looks pretty unimplemented. The code is
> > cleary better organized than the old stuff, but it just
> > isn't ready yet.
> i see. at least the decoder is far from being completed...
> but we really need only the encoder, until it's compatible with
> libavcodec.

    Well, I'm trying to find the quickest path to having the
brightness/contrast keys work on more than one platform. It
looked easier to me to hack this into the old decore library
than to get it in anywhere else, but I could be wrong. Also,
libavcodec doesn't seem to work as well for me as divx4.

    It looks to me like putting such things in the codecs
themselves is the best choice, especially when it's reading
in yv12 and converting to something else there. Simple postproc
can be done for essentially no cost there.

  Of course, opendivx/decore just can't keep up on my PII/233,
but I think it will do OK on my G4/400 and maybe on my alpha.

> > work necessary to make it functional on at least a few platforms
> > is really minimal, and then mplayer could just sit on that until
> > the new code is ready.
> i think we should use only the encoder from xvid.

    You know better than I; I only expect what I'm doing to be a
temporary solution to get what I want until those things creep into
other codecs.

> >     That's what my mplayer will do, anyway...
> ?

    Just having a little fun. With an open-source project (especially
a source-only project), everybody has his own mplayer.

---- ``Windows: It does that sometimes.''  -mattdm
Chris J. Bednar
Director, Distributed Computing Product Group
http://AdvancedDataSolutions.com/