[MPlayer-dev-eng] latest CVS

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Jan 12 17:32:27 CET 2002

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 06:53:24PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> > gzip -d -c oth/pci.db.gz >pci.db
> > gawk -f pci_db2c.awk pci.db
> > make[1]: gawk: Command not found
> > make[1]: *** [pci_names.c] Error 127
> > make[1]: Leaving directory /home/gabucino/mplayer/src/libdha'
> > make: *** [libdha/libdha.so] Error 2
> > --(gabucino at woodstock)-(45/pts)-(Gabucino rulez!)--
> > --($:~/mplayer)-- cat /etc/lfs-version
> >
> > LFS (Linux From Scratch) version CVS-2001.10.15
> >
> Please download and install it (it's GNU utilities - it's standard)
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gawk/gawk-3.0.6.tar.gz

Ehhhm. Here (Debian sid) awk is a symlink to mawk, and NO gawk is installed
(though I can install gawk). AND it's in gawk and mawk packages in Debian
(not in fileutils), though both of Debian packages mawk and gawk provides
'awk' and only this dependency information is used by other packages (so you
can't remove both of mawk and gawk without breaking dependency but you CAN
install mawk OR gawk only). Imho, if at least two distribution indicates
that gawk is not a standard, we should follow this (whatever this is true or
not).

> > Why should we?

Please use standard awk instead of gawk. It's more portable and you won't
worry about awk implementation installed. Oh, and another point: mawk
is faster than gawk ...

--
- Gábor