[MPlayer-dev-eng] cvs mplayer: radeon kernel driver broken? video image quaking!!!

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Wed Jan 9 18:50:05 CET 2002

Hello, Juergen!

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:04:28 +0100 you wrote:

> error comes up when module radeon_vid is loaded and mplayer is started with
> output to video overlay
>
> graphics card, dmesg tells:
> radeon_vid: Radeon video overlay driver v1.2.1 (C) Nick Kurshev
> radeon_vid: Found Radeon VE QY  (64Mb memory)
> radeon_vid: MTRR set to ON
> and repeating:
> radeon_vid: configuring for 'Planar YV12' fourcc
> with every start of mplayer...

Here all right!
> mplayer version:
> MPlayer CVS-020107-15:33-3.0.2 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS!)
>
> CPU vendor name: AuthenticAMD  max cpuid level: 1
> CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Duron SF Spitfire (Type: 6, Stepping: 1)
> extended cpuid-level: 6
> CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for x86 CPU with features: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx
>
> tested command lines showing the error:
> mplayer -vo mga:/dev/radeon_vid test.vob
> or
> mplayer -vo xv test.vob

FYI: -vo xv doesn't use neihgter radeon_vid nor radeonfb !!!

> no errors with video outputs vesa, svga, x11, gl, gl2, ...
>
> [juergen at merkur juergen]$ cat /dev/radeon_vid
> Interface version: 0201
> Driver version: 1.2.1
> Chip: Radeon VE QY
> Memory: d8000000:4000000
> MMIO: d8e57000
> Overlay offset: 3ec0000
> Tune MTRR: on
> Swapped fourcc: off
> Last BPP: 8
> Last fourcc: Planar YV12
>
> Configurable stuff:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> double_buff=on
> brightness=0
> saturation=0
> contrast=0
> hue=0
> deinterlace=on
> deinterlace_pattern=900AAAAA
> [juergen at merkur juergen]$
>
> My hardware is a Duron 750 MHz with GB-7IXE4 motherboard and 256MB Ram.
>
> I put test.vob which is 3 MB of a dvd video to incoming dir of
> ftp.mplayerhq.hu as radeon_vo_quaking.test.vob.

Unfortunately I can't download anything from this server: permission denied :(

> further tests shows that for vo xmga the window is full pink, no video image
> is shown, only audio can be heard.

Yes - it's problem of wrong working with color key.
> vo's xv and mga are quaking up and down very strong within the frame.
> At using mga the video mode is not changed, you can see only a part of video
> image on the console.
>
> vesa:lvo functions well and fast,
It tells me that problem is out of my stuff: radeonfb and radeon_vid.
It's probably common problem of mplayer. So try readdress your bugreport to Arpi ;)
Although it can be problem of your movie (from your log):
 a52: CRC check failed!
 a52: error at resampling
Try also with original radeonfb from linux sources - but I guess there will not be changes.

> is there motion compensation implemented now fully?
No - there is enabled adaptive deinterlacing.
> I ask, because you can see only very little changes in
> framedrops to vo xv driver earlier.
>
> later, after my holidays I would work on this driver, too...
O'k