[MPlayer-dev-eng] VIDIX introduction for developers

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Mon Jan 7 10:52:04 CET 2002

Hello!

After week of brewing I'm ready to introduce VIDIX.
VIDIX is abbreviation from "VIDio Interface for *niX".
What is it:
- It's portable successor of mga_vid technology which is located in user-space.
- Unlikely X11 it's provides DGA everywhere where it's possible.
- Unlikely v4l it provides interface for video playback
- Unlikely linux's drivers it uses mathematics library.
Why it was developed:
As said Vladimir Dergachev:
0) Motivation
    v4l, v4l2 and Xv are all suffering from the same problem: attempt to fit
    existing multimedia devices into a fixed scheme.
Well - I tried to implement something similar by motivation.
I intentionally avoid configure since it's portable stuff and it should be
compiled and tested on almost all operating systems.

This interface is almost finished. But I guess it can be expanded by developers requests.
So any suggestions, reports, criticism are gladly accepted before next release.
(Or we should ask Arpi don't inlclude this stuff in the next release if he plan
to release next version of mplayer during this or next months).

What functions are almost finished:

vixGetVersion
vidInit
vixDestroy
vixProbe
vixConfigPlayback
vixPlaybackQueryFourcc
vixPlaybackon
vixPlaybackOff
vixPlaybackFrameSelect

What should be revised:
vixGetCapability

What are untested:
vixPlaybackGet(Set)Eq
vixPlaybackCopyFrame

What's TODO:
direct MPEG2 decoding
DVD's subtitle and OSD hw suppotr

Urgently (if someone wants todo that):
Video capturing
Audio decoding
Audio capturing
Radion captiring

And so on - I guess we should expand it as it possible.

Best regards! Nick