[MPlayer-dev-eng] Code Profiling

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Fri Jan 4 19:58:31 CET 2002

Hi team,
	So I want to try my hand at a few minor SIMD optimizations.
Nothing serious, I'd just like to get a little practice. I'm thinking that
the development cycle would look like this:
  1) identify candidate piece of C code
  2) profile C code on a large set of data
  3) optimize code with SIMD instructions
  4) profile new code on same large set of data and compare times
So my question is: What's the best way to profile the code? I'm thinking
that it will be necessary to run a routine over a large data set in order
to get noticeable times. But what facilities should I use in order to
figure out how long a piece of code takes?

--
	-Mike Melanson