[MPlayer-dev-eng] patching .. what's the proper approach ?

scott fagg scottf at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 4 08:54:53 CET 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Arpi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Well i got 6 out 7 right .. that probably explains the non-response that i
> > got.
> >
> > I'll try again.
>
> ahh. checked, you sent the vcd-file and gui patch.

That was me.

> the gui part - wait for Pontscho's answer. btw he said it's bad change
> because the vcd part is not yet implemented so evNone is better now
>
> the vcd part in open.c: i don't like it. mplayer shouldn't try to open
> everything as vcd. it also requires the title no. of vcd.

What i was trying to achive was a usability thing, taking the onus of the
user to identify the medium in question (vcd, dvd, file, stream, etc).

I agree that the concept of mplayer trying each format (vcd,dvd,file) on
every thing it tries to open as being a bad thing.

Is it possible to quickly identify the format before trying to open it as
dvd/vcd/file etc ... ?

It should be easy to test for device vs file, but then again it's
concievable that the user is trying to play an image of a cdrom that has
been copied to disk.

How do other media players deal with dvd vs vcd vs file ?