[MPlayer-dev-eng] Quicktime Color Tables

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Fri Jan 4 02:33:43 CET 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Mike Melanson wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
>
> > I'd a look on the movie, it contained no unrecognized chunks (-> no 'ctab'
> > chunk too).
>
> 	True, it doesn't seem to have a ctab atom. However, the stsd
> atom is suspiciously lengthy, longer than most stsd atoms. All the extra
> data looks a lot like palette entries. I could be mistaken, though...

	All right, Alex, I think I figured it out. Just like in the video
info header in an AVI/ASF file, the palette data (if there is any) in a
MOV file is stored in the video info header. The AVI demuxer deals with
the situation by loading the entire BMP header and making it available for
the decoders to sort out. If you want to do the same for the MOV header
(load the entire stsd video atom and make it available, maybe through the
same BMP header field), I can work with that.

	I'll probably get to hacking on that SMC codec tomorrow night.
--
	-Mike Melanson