[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPLayer in the Brave GNU World?

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Thu Jan 3 12:11:36 CET 2002

Hi all,

a reader of the Brave GNU World (http://brave-gnu-world.org) pointed
out MPlayer and said he would like to see a feature for it, so I took
a look at the home page.

I'm a little undecided. The Brave GNU World features Free Software,
but MPlayer still has non-Free parts in it, which is
problematic. Still the project seems to be aimed at creating a true
Free Software solution, so helping it gain users and developers may be
a good idea. Also it might make a good example to explain to users how
licenses fundamentally influence the development of a project and that
we should always seek to be GPL compatible.

Another issue I'm sure you're very concerned with is patents on all
the video and audio algorithms.

Below I attached the standard questions that you can fill out and mail
back to me. I'd like to add two more questions:

 - Which licenses on which are currently blocking your project most?

 - How many problems do software patents create for your work?

Regards,
Georg