[MPlayer-dev-eng] release today.

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Jan 2 19:45:40 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:32:00PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > IMHO, we should release mplayer frequently.
> yes, but it isn't so simple.
> maybe with having parallel cvs, one for release candidate, one for devel
> stuff. like 2.4/2.5 for kernel. but i want to avoid it because of sync
> issues.

Uhhh, this would be VERY-VERY ugly ;-(
But it would be possible (for example) to stabilize new features then
release it as 'stable' and CONTINUE developing from that version as
'developer' version (CVS of'koz). However some features during a develope
interval could be backported to the stable version (as well as bug fixes).
Imho this model needs less work than maintain TWO source tree for a long
time (my idea uses much smaller intervals instead). Maybe in a stable version
we should remove 'experminetal' and 'buggy' codes as well (stable versions
as tgz files) but keep it in CVS version (development versions).

However I feel that current mplayer development model has got much more
stable 'development' versions (from up-to-date CVS) than - for example -
2.5.x kernels compared to stable ones ...

- Gabor