[MPlayer-dev-eng] New Codec Interface

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 26 18:21:52 CET 2002

Hi team,
	A'rpi, I checked out your first draft of the new codec interface.
Good thinking, overall. So, if I understand it right, the demuxer will not
make any decision regarding the dimensions of the video in a file, and the
output format will no longer be specified in etc/codecs.conf? Instead, the
decoder will callback to the MPlayer app and specify a list of formats
that it knows how to output? And it will also make the decision about the
image dimensions? Or will the file demuxer get the dimensions from a file
(if available), and give the decoder veto power over the dimensions?

	Another thing that wasn't quite clear: Will this new architecture
entail having the decoders dispatch video frames to the video rendering
subsystem (like in VFW and QT, as I understand them)? Or will it be like
the current system where MPlayer calls a decoder, the decoder draws the
frame to a buffer, and returns execution to the main app and lets it worry
about drawing the frame?

	Also, is it okay if I monkey with the sh_video_t structure and add
a proper palette structure?

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson