[MPlayer-dev-eng] DECODING AHEAD - (Initialy Michael's idea)

Juan J. Sierralta P. juanjo at atmlab.utfsm.cl
Tue Feb 26 17:58:22 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 04:25, Nick Kurshev wrote:

> but only through fastmemcpy already decoded frames in memory.
> > the biggest key to performance at this point is getting direct
> > rendering working with libavcodec (and other codecs) and other video
> > out modules (mga, xmga) as opposed to just vidix. buffering may be
> > able to help, but only at the expense of tons of memory.
> You are wrong! Direct rendering can't be imlemented anywere except vidix.
> But it already works with all working drivers.
> What about libavcodec - it requires to be rewritten to implement
> direct rendering with its codecs.
> And even in this case I don't get 50% of speedup.

	Rewritted ? What parts should be rewritten ?
	I don't have a single idea of direct rendering but I think you're
trying to avoid a memcpy somewhere, in that case it would be very
difficult with current libavcodec, and maybe the speed gain will not
worth the work. I don't know DR buffers but I suppose that they are
completely different in every card I suppose you should pass the
buffers, strides and offsets and libavcodec would have to worry to put
the data on this probably scattered buffer.

--
Juanjo sin .sig :(