[MPlayer-dev-eng] BUG - incorrect fps detected on NTSC DVDs result in jumpy video

Christian Lambert clambert at sgi.com
Tue Feb 26 05:47:40 CET 2002

Hi Ivan,

I uploaded the file called test.vob in the incoming directory.  Notice that
there are a few interlaced frame for about 1 or 2 seconds at the beginning
of the movie, then when the logo starts it jumps to "film" and stays that way.
You will notice at the first scene that has a slow camera pan that you can see
that it's really jumpy.

Also, I noticed that the video and audio isn't always in sync on
all DVDs.  That is maybe due to the ac3 delay value which isn't
read and interpreted by mplayer?   Sometime that value is 0 so in that case
there is no sync problems, but it's sometime a negative or positive value
between 0 and 100ms.  So it's about what I'm seeing in some NTSC DVDs.
Not sure exactly where that value is stored in the VOB file, but maybe in
the header of the AC3 stream itself.

By using dvd2avi (a windows program) you can see how it's interpreting
the "film" frames versus the interlaced frames and also extract the
ac3 delay value.   See the web page for more details.

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvd2avi.htm

-Christian