[MPlayer-dev-eng] third hectoliter this day

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 02:46:57 CET 2002

Hi,

> On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 19:39, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > why no way to *increase* the volume? i think that's normally what's
> > desired. with lots of dvds and dvd rips, the volume is way too low,
> > and adjusting the soundcard's mixer settings adds lots of hissing. the
> > problem is really that the sample values being sent to the sound care
> > are way too low, and need to be scaled up.
> >
> > of course, then there's the issue of the occasional insanely loud
> > sound which might clip and sound awful. i would think the best way of
> > dealing with this would be to use some sort of logarithmic or better
> > yet asymptotic scale as sample values approach the maximum, so that
> > they'd just distort (similar perhaps to a tube amp?) rather than
> > clipping. thoughts anyone? perhaps something like this should be a
> > separate plugin, e.g. "amp" rather than "software volume control"..?
>
> I think you want a compressor plugin.

I will write a compressor plugin unless someone else is quicker than
me... I don't however want the compressor enabled by default since it
reduces the entropy of the information in the data stream (and thus
causes performance degradation for people with high quality HW).
Therefore I didn't include one in the volume control.

//Anders